Restoring the Ecology
AID and its partners work towards stopping the degradation of the environment and taking proactive steps in improving it by working with communities that live close to nature and have a deeper understanding.
- Holding polluter responsible
- Implementation of Environment and Forest Rights Act
COMMUNITY ENVIRONMENTAL MONITORING, TAMIL NADU
In 2003, Cuddalore was declared a toxic hotspot with high amounts of pollution in the air, groundwater & soil from SIPCOT industrial complex. Some carcinogens like 1,2-dichloroethane in the air exceeded safety levels by a factor of 22,973. CEM’s intervention led to reduced levels of air pollution within acceptable limits alleviating suffering of 50,000 people in 25 villages.
– Reduced levels of air pollution within acceptable limits alleviating suffering of 50,000 people in 25 villages
– Constant monitoring of air, water & soil by the community
– Clean piped water to 8 out of 10 severely affected villages
– Villagers learn to use Right to Information (RTI) and basic right to lead a life of dignity